Thankful Tuesday : Sometimes it's good to lose

3 days a week my alarm is set for 6.30am. I sleep right through it and at about 6.45am I resurrect, a bit like Dracula arising from his coffin. I dress in the dark at what I call my “Work-Station” which is essentially the side of my bed I don’t sleep on that’s got my laptop, tablet, phone, make-up and clothes, life's essentials. I mooch out the door after my dog has barked at me a few times, which wakes me right up for the drive to RESULTS Ireland. I’m usually getting my warm up done by running up the stairs while the rest of the class are already on the track. I pelt it out to an onslaught of verbal abuse from my trainer Dave. Luckily, I’ve been friends with Dave for over 10 years and his business partner Aidan for about 20 years, so what I consider verbal abuse, they consider “motivation” and “encouragement". In all fairness, it’s purely banter. 

I do the #fitspo classes. There are about 12 of us and we alternate between different focus points each class. Legs, upper body and core. It’s a mix of different exercises every class which means it’s a real all over workout, but for some reason all the trainers seem to have a real grá for the sled. Here’s a quick video of what we do at the classes, thankfully this was created before I started!




I’m not going to lie, sometimes I want to cry because the sweat that’s dripping into my eyes is stinging so badly but when you start to see the benefits it really doesn’t matter anymore. That one hour class 3 times a weeks suddenly seems to be so little time to dedicate to something so important, your body and making it stronger. It’s not about having the perfect body, because there is no such thing. We are all essentially variants of the same generic body with a head, torso and limbs. It’s about making the most of what you have. 

A big group holiday in July encouraged me to start classes, bikini confidence and all that. Well it’s 2 months after my holiday I’m still at classes, filling in my food diary and trying to eat healthy (I have my moments). Will I ever get a new pose? 


So, this Thankful Tuesday I’m thankful to RESULTS Ireland for helping me get to where I am today. Also, I’m very thankful to the people who motivated me to go in the first place. To anyone who is thinking of getting fit and lean and think they don’t have enough time just think of Beyonce’s beautiful behind and realise...




Thanks for reading, Maria :) X