THROWBACK THURSDAY - An Púcan : The Year In Review

I always associated An Púcan with somewhere my parents would occasionally frequent, maybe on an anniversary. The kind of place that might have a scattering of aul fellas sipping pints, watching the Angelus and trying to impart wisdom on the youth with proverbs like, "Drink is the curse of the land. It makes you fight with you neighbor. It makes you shoot at your landlord and it makes you miss him." Ah okay, I just wanted a drink, but maybe I'll just head home.


image source : http://sharonruschshaver.com/2011/01/

I don't really know if it was like that at all, but that was merely my perception and enough to make me not suggest it as a Saturday night location. So, the day I got a call from a friend saying that Kodaline and London Grammer were playing there, I thought this must be a joke! I figured I had nothing to loose and there had been rumours floating around the town that it was like totally done up and stuff. I thought, ya sure a lick of paint and a new skirting.

Well granted yes it did get painted, naturally. However, it had received a total make-over, a super upgrade. It seemed as though the entire place had a plush re-brand and it was through this re-brand that so much began to change.
Image source ; An Púcan Official Facebook page




Image source ; An Púcan Official Facebook page

Image source ; An Púcan Official Facebook page



I think coming from Ireland my standards and expectations of food have always been very high. When I'm on holidays I find myself saying things like, "I can't eat that, it must be like donkey or rat or something." I think we are spoiled having been reared in a country that exudes excellence when it comes to culinary abilities. If I'm honest, the food at the An Púcan  is one of the main reasons I go there. The menu means it's the kind of place I could go with my partner (dietary requirements) , the girls (fussy eaters) or my parents (traditional/old school) and they would all leave happy. 


Image source ; An Púcan Official Facebook page


Well it wouldn't be a complete pub without some drinks. They have a selection of 210 whiskies including their very own An Púcan whiskey with Teelings. They do of course have all the other popular faves. 




To be fair a lot of hard work has gone into the place with huge emphasis on increasing awareness through social media. An Púcan Twitter is always willing to give some sound advice/abuse/banter.
Be sure to check out  An Púcan Facebook and An Púcan Twitter to join in on the bants a get more info on the upcoming 1 year birthday bash this July 10th! I'm so looking forward to it, dragging everyone along!


Image source ; An Púcan Official Facebook page